CAD - Drawing Arbitrary Shaped Slots
This video demonstrates a method of creating slots from arbitrary shaped open polylines.
There is no audion on this video. Here is a description of the drawing steps:
- Open or draw an open polyline that you want to turn into a slot.
- Copy and past a copy of the shape (CTRL+C,CTRL+V)
- With the copy selected, do Edit -> Polyline -> Reverse.
- Select the original and the reversed shapes, then do Edit -&ght; Join (CTRL+J). The resulting shape should end up closed.
- Do Edit -> Offset and enter the radius of the slot you want.
What you are doing is creating a closed shape that completely back tracks itself.
This method will work best with the 0.9.6 release and later. Earlier versions may have problems.